HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Turkey Hunt Essentials
View Single Post
Old 01-21-2010, 12:41 AM
kpatte26
Fork Horn

doetrain,
My first recommendation for calls is to purchase a call of each kind to start with... This accomplishes 2 things... First you learn how to use the call and Second you learn which calls you like. Personally I prefer mouth and box calls versus the other types. I would also recommend spending a few extra dollars and purchasing a "custom" call... Nothing against the calls that are mass produced but after purchasing a "custom" box call this spring I will never buy another mass produced call again!
I would also recommend purchasing a few locator calls such as the owl hooter, crow, and coyote calls. These will assist you in locating the birds in your area... I will never forget when I used an owl hooter and had a turkey gobble back... it was music to my ears!
When it comes to camo the purpose is to blend into your enviroment so whatever you have for deer hunting should work fine for turkey... I use Cabelas camo for both turkey and deer and have had birds and deer walk by my location. I would suggest purchasing a vest of some sort so that you can have all your stuff in a convenient location...
I would also recommend getting some decoys! These can make the difference to having a bird hang up or come the last 15 yards.
I do not archery hunt for turkey but recommend reading the posts on here as well as asking other archery hunters what broadhead to use. I do know they make a broadhead specifically for turkey but again I know very little about it so ask around!
When it comes to hunting out of a tree stand I have never really heard anyone doing this but I am sure someone somewhere has tried it so do some research as well as watch turkey hunting videos... Especially the Primos series... Those guys know turkey hunting and as far as I can recall I have never seen them use a tree stand.
There is my 2 cents... I hope it helps you out and I also wish you lots of luck!