HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Glasses and binos
View Single Post
Old 01-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Harmonica612
Spike

You need to learn about binoculars before you buy them, or you will just waste your money. I did it the wrong way. Read this website http://www.birdwatching.com/optics.html It will get you started. I wear eyelglasses too. I now own nine pairs ! I use only about 3. You should be safe with a pair of 7X35 or 8X40 but the eye relief should be at least 15MM. The human eye in a man of 40 will dialate (open) to about 5MM--at night. During the day it closes down to 2.5MM. You want the binolculars with the ability to let up to 5MM of light in. This is optimal. Here is a formula you can use. Take for example a 7X35 pair of binoculars. Divide 7 into 35 = 5. This 5 represents 5MM. It is the amount of light the binocular will let in. Tht is why 7X35 and 8X40 binoculars have been around for so long. They fill the need for most light situations. Now go over to a big box store and you will see plenty of inexpensive 7X21 or 8X21 small binoculars. The max amount of light they will let in is about 3MM or less. Basically, these are good only on bright sunny days. Anything less will cause eye strain. I've been there and done that.
I suggest you surf the web for birdwatcher forums they discuss binoculars at length. It is their main tool. Leupold makes 6X30 "Yosemite" that is light, excellent and inexpensive. The only downside is the magnification is 6, but you may be satisfied with that. It is also waterproof ! Good luck ! The correct pair of binoculars is a true pleasure to use. Stay away from unknown brands.