HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzle loader question
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 02:35 PM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by OregonHunter5
let me add, that my success with center fires has been great. im a pretty good shot with that browning. dang nice gun. but the reason for my possible change isnt becasue i am a pro hunter and have killed it all. not true. let me tell you that browning is why its hard to make a change. if i left it at home on a hunt, would be like kicking my son in the teeth. its like a family member. my folks gave it to me 20 years ago.
my reason for the change is, im kinda getting defiant with all these new hunting products. i feel like the smart animals will always have an advantage over us hunters because they are so smart. i also like the long range shooting thing. BUT, then again i think its gone to FAR. you see i hunt out here in the west where its a sneak or spot and stalk. so i am not a horn hunter, i am just a hunter. i guess i am to trigger happy. but when we start using trail cams, scent clothing, etc. you know all that crap, it just takes the fun out of it for me. i can afford to buy all that stuff, so its not that. i just think its great to see a dude pull a deer off the hill, while wearing a pair of jeans, flannel shirt, old boots, and a .30-.30 lever winchester on his back. im not exactly that guy, but you will never see me feeding deer. I am more Charles Ingals rather than Best of The West dudes.
i know some of these opinions will bug some of you maybe, but its just me being honest.
so thats why i am thinking of this change.
Oregonhunter5, I know how you feel about all the new stuff out there and I feel the same. Most of the new stuff wont make you a better Hunter or get you a Bigger Deer or Elk ect. But the Manufactures out there want you to think you need there stuff to do so, You DONT! For one a trail Camera only tells you what animals are around at night, sure it's good to know if there in your area, but that big buck you saw on your trail cam wont show during the light, if he's smart. And the Scent Loc & Shield Clothing is worthless as the only way a animal wont smell you is to be down wind, you can be sitting on a pile of crap and as long as you play the wind right he'll never smell you, or it.
And Camo, yea I like Mossy Oak, but do I need it, NO, I could Hunt in jeans and I'd still get a deer, even Turkeys. How many times have you been Deer Hunting and NOT MOVED and had Turkeys walk by and Not See You, a-lot! Like Deer and Turkeys MOVEMENT gives you away and no matter what style Camo you wear you wont be any better off if the animal see's you move.
You could wear Blaze Orange for Bow Season and still get Deer as long as they dont see you move. So forget about all the new products they wont make you a better hunter, and let them other guy's spend there money on them thinking they will. The same as a cheap MLer or a expensive one, do you think the animal has any better chance of living with a cheap MLer or a expensive one, once the bullet hits he's done. So do it your way and dont worry about the rest, and go all MLer you wont be dissapointed.
(BP)