HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzle loader question
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 01:26 PM
sabotloader
Boone & Crockett

OregonHunter5

if i do use this ml for all hunts, is there a big difference in performance with other sabots versus these all lead ones?
I use .503/460 grain Bull Shop conicals from the GM-LRH. They are very accurate carry a ton of energy. There is not PRB that will offer the range - velocity - and energy of these bullets. One of the better features of these conicals - you load them just like they were sabots - no short starter needed - just push them down with your thumb and then the ram rod.

Here is a collection of Bull Shops...

The loss going to the full bore lead conical are Trajectory and Velocity - I would really like to say terminal performance also - but in no way is that true.

Just me... but I would not alter any of your guns to make them compatible - I can not see a good reason to cause a permanent change. You can purchase the barrel from GM and a used stock from ebay - in fact I even have an extra Renegade stock - just drop the barrel in and start shooting.

Where are you in Oregon? How close to Kennewick, WA? - I am over there all the time I would bring one over and we could run out and shoot it...

you see i hunt out here in the west where its a sneak or spot and stalk. so i am not a horn hunter, i am just a hunter. i guess i am to trigger happy. but when we start using trail cams, scent clothing, etc. you know all that crap, it just takes the fun out of it for me. i can afford to buy all that stuff, so its not that. i just think its great to see a dude pull a deer off the hill, while wearing a pair of jeans, flannel shirt, old boots, and a .30-.30 lever winchester on his back. im not exactly that guy, but you will never see me feeding deer. I am more Charles Ingals rather than Best of The West dudes.
DITTO!!!!!!

After reading that description, you certainly can hunt with me

Since you are a centerfire shooter I would really suggest you pass on the PRB thought that was suggested.

Last edited by sabotloader; 01-19-2010 at 01:31 PM.