HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ohio Muzzleloader Season Thoughts
View Single Post
Old 01-19-2010, 10:35 AM
tcba1987
Spike

I think the later season STUNK it was way too cold and alot of hunters that i know stayed home till the last day when it got alittle warmer outside. i personally hunted on sunday...monday and tuesday and didnt see a deer till tuesday when i hunted a small 2 acre piece of woods behind my parents house that NOONE hunts on and then i took a small doe just to fill my tag..............every where that i hunted the deer were really herded up and bedded down tight in the biggest thickets that they could find and they were not moving at all .............id definitely prefer that they move the season back to december next year again !!

honestly IF ohio is serious about thinning the herd down in some of the severely over populated areas (Tuscarawas County for one) like they say they are they should consider a DOE ONLY SEASON for gun and then they could thin down the herd of does.............THAT WILL PROBABLY NEVER HAPPEN theres too many RACK ONLY HUNTERS in Ohio and i think that is exactly why the deer numbers are so out of control in Tusc County...........i know on one farm that i hunt the land owner will give permits to just about anyone to hunt and he was telling he that he had 23 deer taken off of his ground that he knows of and 15 of them were BUCKS............he said he is getting pretty ticked off that NOONE wants to shoot any does the week after muzzle loader season he was seeing herds of deer in the fields 15-20 at a time digging in the snow for food and he didnt see ANY WITH RACKS..........he is actually talking about only allowing people to hunt his farm that will take at least ONE DOE before they kill any bucks but hes not sure how he can enforce that rule ??