HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - sharpshooters culling deer - how??
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 08:45 PM
jakelogsdon
Fork Horn

I will preface by stating, I know this answer is not right for everyone. However the only suggestion i have is prevention. If we can prevent the wild game populations from getting out of control in the first place we all can benefit. First thing i will say is, the most likely reason these animals are living in the burbs in the first place is because these areas are acting as sanctuaries. If you have a large number of deer in surrounding areas where hunting is allowed, it is only common sense that when hunting season comes in, large numbers of deer are going to flee to the no hunting sanctuary that lies in the burbs, regardless of the traffic or human presence. If that area had the slightest hunting pressure it would not be the same story. I say allow hunting in these areas, but make it archery only, make hunters pass a special urban hunting course, and make it open the length of the states archery season. This in turn will eventually get the animal numbers in check and keep them there.