HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - sharpshooters culling deer - how??
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 05:15 PM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Doing these types of shoot Varies A LOT from state to state. Some states will have state police sharp shooters come in and do the job. Mainly in the more populated areas they will used 22-250's and .223's. For many areas the less noise the better, at least how they have "Culled" deer in a more populated area for instance around the greater chicagoland area. I know of spots in Wisconsin where they are stepping up the firepower a bit since the noise isn't as big a factor. Most of these shoots take place over bait to make it more time efficient as well. Some states are a lot more expensive than others too. Ive heard of counties spending upwards of $500 a deer when it is all averaged out. Its crazy because seeing some of the deer that Ive seen in forest preserves around Chicago Id gladly pay $500 to hunt these!

I agree with HuntingKS in a way. It is tough to take out that many deer soley by hunters in a short season. The more appropriate thing for these places to do it try to spread it out over a few months and have a drawing for particular weeks and charge $100 a person. I know of places that started doing this and it has worked better than they thought. Before this they were spending around a 100k to get rid of deer, but then with a little planning and having a drawing for hunters who were certified in Hunters Educations and passed a short shooting test, they are now able to MAKE around $20,000 a year off of this. An added thing was if that you harvest 5 antlerless deer in your zone or time frame you get your money back! It has worked like a charm from what I have heard.