HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - sharpshooters culling deer - how??
View Single Post
Old 01-18-2010, 09:25 AM
teedub31
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by salukipv1
Years ago a 6400acre gov't property around here had deer galore, every few years I think they bring in the sharpshooters. In the middle of the suburbs this place. A friend once went to a meeting about allowing bowhunters to do the job....none of the 5 person panel hunted, or even fished I don't think. Of course they vetoed that idea...and brought in the sharp shooters. Such a shame, these gov't/state owned properties could manage the deer herd, even make money off it, but they're worried about other BS.
I don't disagree with you about using hunters to get rid of deer, other then the fact that you suggest that the state charge them to do it. I swear I gotta be the only one on this board that feels the state already steals enough money from me. Why promote them stealing more?

Anyhow the only problem with the bowhunter route is that these "sharpshooters" (in the story) are getting 50 deer out in just a few days. That aint happening with bowhunting. The school does not want the PR of dealing with people seeing hunters around constantly in order to meet the reduction goals. Not saying that it is right or wrong, just reality. A few days to cull deer will go unnoticed for the most part. Months of hunting won't.