HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - accuracy vs inexpensive ammo
View Single Post
Old 01-17-2010, 08:38 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

accuracy and price arent ALWAYS hand n hand...

my 22-250 i pay like 30$ for 55gr ballistic tips from federal...

once i was in a jam and the groundhog huntin was hot and i ran outta ammo...had to order them as noone local had them...in the mean time i bought CHEAP UMC 40rd value pack ammo...it was a 50gr JHP...

truth be told, that ammo shot half the group size at 100yds...but at 200 the ballistic tips were more accurate and consistent..better bullet and more consistent ammo for long range shooting...

also, i had the only few groundhogs i ever had crawl into their holes after the shot with the 50gr JHP...surely not GREAT shots...but with the ballistic tips, anything other than a hit in the foot, killed em dead upon impact...

for deer and big game, i pay for good ammo...only because the bullets are better, more consistent and ive had issues i wont get into on an open forum with "cheap" ammo....

the more expensive ammo is loaded with better components and held to higher standards....which should make them more consistent...but in my circumstance with the 22-250, my gun liked the cheaper ammo at 100 but thats only because my rifle liked the lighter bullets and shot them better....not because the ammo was better...