HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Why do we hunt?
Thread: Why do we hunt?
View Single Post
Old 01-15-2010, 09:28 PM
turkey guide
Fork Horn

I have zero interest in any sport other than hunting. Can't stand football and don't give a damn who won the world series or any basketball game. I used to be a pretty big NASCAR fan, but like Christmas, stupid humans have made it all about avertising and sales and it has little to do with what company builds the best car or which team sets it up and drives it the best anymore. I went to my first live race at the Kansas speedway and it was my last live race. It was such a miserable experience I can't even tell you how much I hated it. I could have seen, heard and enjoyed it so much more in the comfort of my living room and not had to be crowded, hot and staring at a jumbotron past 10,000 screaming idiots. Staying home would also have saved me several hundred dollars in tickets, travel, and food expenses, not to mention blood pressure medication and a weekend of regret that I didn't go hunting.
Anyway, after an insanely stressful and tortuous day like that, a short walk in the woods with my favorite rifle can make me less homicidal and nearly sane again, so that I can face questions like, Why do you hunt? without the strong urge to choke the life out of the person asking. After a while I forget everything save the beauty around me and I'm at peace with the world. A world that makes sense, where good sense can keep you warm, dry, comfortable and completely content. A natural being, in nature, away from artificial human stresses. Just me alone with God and his creatures. And some of them are pretty tasty too!