HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How can it be?
Thread: How can it be?
View Single Post
Old 01-14-2010, 10:16 AM
excalibur43
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Lanse couche couche
Do you really want to generalize about the behavior of deer after the lead starts flying based on 4.5 year old bucks? Also, do you really think that a typical 300 acre plot of land supports regular deer hunting by 15 people? I would argue that if an outfitter leases land for deer hunting and posts it, you probably end up with 15 or more hunters who lose access to hunting if you consider everything from squirrels to coons. But 15 deer hunters under normal conditions, I doubt it. Like i said, if you got lots of deer you are gonna get lots of deer killed. Maybe not many 4.5 year old bucks, but plenty of younger ones. So, again, i'm not seeing some really clear and heavy correlation between outfitters and harvest rates.
Not generalizing based on the activities of a mature buck, making a statement based on years of hunting deer and watching where they go after the first day of gun season, depending on the pressure of that particular tract of land. As far as hunting 300 acres, I can personally name several plots of land 85 acres and smaller that support at LEAST 15 hunters. Not all of them hunt at the same time, but all of them hunt regularly.So I know 300 acres could support alot more than 15 hunters, especially bow hunters. I personally know these guys, and, as with most guys I work with or hunt with,they have an agreement; they harvest a couple of does for the freezer and after that, it's 140" or better or they won't shoot at all.

Last edited by excalibur43; 01-14-2010 at 10:21 AM.