HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Question about doe tags and forest re-growth
Old 01-13-2010, 07:26 AM
DougE
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Tony_Loyd
If you got less deer and they are only targeting the hardwood sprouts what is the forest going to be mainly consisted of?
Junk trees and shrubs.
You let these grow and they will block the sun that is needed for plant life.
Now you got more fast growing maples than you ever had before.
Now tell me this?
How do you plan on getting rid of the over abundance and dominant species of maples if the deer herd is reduced so much that they can now be picky about what they eat because there is no competiton over the best browse?
The maples will continue to grow without any predation on that plant from the deer and the target species now is the hardwoods and the junk trees get to grow and choke out the rest of the forest floor.
Where is this controlled burn going on and the harvest of junk trees going on in our SF that you mentioned above?
Not in 2G or 2e in the CLF county area.
Where is this happening that you are talking about?

Yep,even a small amount of deer can alter the forest in poor habitat.Isn't that what I've been saying all along?

There have been several controlled burns behind SB elliot state park.I'd be more than glad to show you.They also have several areas where studies were done with lime and hebicides.They even have controlled areas right next to each other where they're comparing the different treatments as a study for the US forest service.I can show you that as well.

There's also a large area that got burned in Treasure lake by accident just off I80.in fact,I WANT TO CHECK THAT OUT AS SOON AS THE SNOW MELTS.You're more than welcome to tag along.