HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Birthday present.
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Grouse45
Nontypical Buck

Default My Birthday present.

I really couldn't of asked for a better birthday present. Story to follow later.

I arrived in Ohio on friday 1/8/2010. I took heaters out to the shacks and scouted around awhile. At the end i decided to take the quad back to a far corner and see how many tracks are in the field.

I saw to huge Bucks, one an 8 point and one a 12. I know that because they went around the hill and stopped in the woods 35 yards from the edge. They are monsters to say the least.

Saturday morning i saw Two Bucks and 15 Doe in my field. In the field across the creek was another 12. This was all before legal shooting hours. I could not tell how many point the Bucks had but pretty descent. The rest of the day saturday i saw nothing.

Saturday afternoon i saw alot of Doe's entering the second field. I waited and waited for them to get closer. No luck at all. 4:50 PM i shot a Doe at 275yards. The Deer took off towards the woods. I actually thought i missed. By the time i made it over there it was getting dark. I found very little blood. Looked up and The pretty good size Doe was laying there. It went about 30yards and layed down. I walked up to it and saw it was gut shot. I was a little aggravated at myself. I really wasnt setup to shoot that far and really didn't practice. I really think the Lehigh controlled fragmenting bullet payed a huge part in me getting this Deer. So to say the least i needed to kill the Deer.

Sunday morning i got in the stand early and no Deer in the field. I decided to walk around a little and spotted a 5 point Buck. I moved up against a tree and pushed my safe off. All of a sudden i see another Buck way bigger walking towards this one. This Buck walks away and this Buck hits the opening and i grunt at it. This Buck does not hear me or doesn't stop. Now i'm mad. I should of shot when it hit the opening. I tried to circle around and head them off. No luck at all. In the process i see another Buck 150yards on another property i could not shoot.

So i headed back towards the car and spotted a brown spot 500 yards on a hill. I pulled up my Bino's and saw it was a Deer. So i moved closer towards it. I assumed it was a Doe. My buddy could not see it. I told him to go over by this tree and i would push it towards him so he could shoot it. I already had shot a Doe. So i get with in a 125 yards and realize it's a Buck. I hunker down and move with in about 80yards and shoot off my Knee. The Buck jumps up and runs off. I was very surprised because i had a good hold and it was close.

I walk over to were i shot the Deer and See blood and hair. Not as much as you would think. About 10yards away it stars bleading pretty good in the Snow. I tracked it in the brush for 40 yards and found it. The last 15 yards blood was all over. The 7 point Buck Died 40 yards from being shot. I never had a Lehigh bullet go that far. This Deer was pretty big bodied and full of energy. I made a good shot right behind the shoulder and it dies very shortly after.

I used a 45cal Knight Disc Elite, 140grns BH209, 200grn Lehigh bullet, Federal 209A primer, short black harvester sabot, Lehigh new breech plug conversion.

So to say the least, i had a great Birthday. The 7th point is 1 1/4 inches long. That point was broken off. The other side had no sign of a point.

Last edited by Grouse45; 01-13-2010 at 05:19 PM. Reason: Updated