HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Article on Bass Repellents
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 10:50 AM
Gangly
Nontypical Buck

Default Article on Bass Repellents

An In-Fisherman Article recently published regarding bass repellents testing done by Pure Fishing had some pretty interesting information in it. It described what things can be identified as bass repellents and some of them that I thought would be considered repellents werent, while other that i thought wouldnt be repellents, were.

The most repulsive repellents were anything that contained deet (Bug Spray like OFF, Cutter, etc). It seemed to "repel about anything that swims, crawls, flies, or runs". "Touching a lure after applying DEET renders it repulsive for well over an hour".

"Detergents and soaps also are offensive to fish".

"The active ingredient in many sunscreens --PABA;p amino benzoiic acid-- also repels bass"

"On the other hand, some substances widely considered repulsive to fish are not. The amino acid L-serine, found in human skin, spooks salmon, but has no effect on bass. We've also offered bass food dipped in motor oil and gasoline, and watched them gobble it up."

After reading it, it sounds like the best thing to do is wash your hands in the waters that you are fishing prior top handling any lures that you might be using, that way you can ensure that you are not getting any unwanted scents on your lures. I just thought it was an interesting read and wanted to share it.

Last edited by Gangly; 01-12-2010 at 11:26 AM.