HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Button Bucks?
Thread: Button Bucks?
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 08:47 AM
MeanV2
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by YooperMike
I don't shoot them. I do everything in my power to distinguish between buttons and does. If I'm not sure, I don't shoot. I'm fortunate enough to not have to worry about an earn-a-buck situation where I NEED a deer to get that buck tag. I think part of my not shooting is growing up in the U.P. where shooting does was not even an option, so I never even thought about shooting a doe, let alone a bb, until I moved to IL. Now that I target does in the early and late season, I just make absolutely certain that they are female.
Mike, Just had a Funny thought. Since I have met you at the IL Deer & Turkey Classic and know how Big you are.

I just envisioned you with a BB thrown over your shoulder and bow in the other hand walking out. You'd have to kill 2 to even break a sweat

I am the same as you. Things I look for to identify a BB are naturally size, then the snout always seems shorter compared to an adult doe, the coat many times has an almost fuzzy look, and last but not least the little nubs.

If a person has No desire or doesn't want to kill a BB it just takes patience to positively ID the target deer. Of course if you don't care then there is No problem. You just Lock-N-Load

Dan