HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - New hunter, Mossberg question
View Single Post
Old 01-12-2010, 03:47 AM
UncleNorby
Nontypical Buck

I have a Mossberg 500 Combo. It came with a smoothbore slug barrel with rifle sights, and a 28" bird barrel (improved or modified choke). I bought an additional barrel, a shorter one with the interchangeable chokes, Accu-chokes I think. The 500 is limited to a 3" chamber, but I have not seen a need for anything more than that.

The slug barrel shoots rifled slugs well enough for me to shoot deer out to 75-80 yds no problem. It's really my eyes that limit the range. In my yonger days I could have shot out to 100 I'm sure.

The newer bird barrel allows me to hunt everything from rabbits to turkeys. With the standard full choke I've shot turkeys out to 35 yds with Winchester 3" #5 turkey loads.

The 500 is not the prettiest gun made, but it has functioned flawlessly for me. They are easy to strip down for cleaning too. If I had to complain about something it would be the creep in the trigger. It is not an issue once you get used to it, you basically take up the creep before shooting at deer and turkey, then it breaks pretty clean.