HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Do you reload and do you think it's worth it?
Old 01-04-2010, 05:48 AM
Pygmy
Nontypical Buck

From a strictly "dollars and cents" viewpoint, unless you are a real high volume shooter, it would take a long time to offset the intitial expense of buying reloading equipment, components, etc... For someone who is only interested in obtaining ammo to hunt with, you are probably better off sticking with factory loads..

For many of us, however, reloading is a hobby and a pastime in itself... I get a great deal of pleasure and satisfaction out of studying ballistics, trying different combinations of components and eventually working up a custom load for one of my rifles that is tailored to THAT rifle and performs well on game...

The bulk of my reloading equipment was paid for LONG ago, and at this point I can assemble ammunition from the best of components for less money than I would pay for factory loads..

My handloads shoot very well in my rifles, and part of my pleasure in hunting involves shooting game with ammunition that I have developed and carefully assembled myself...