HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - different calibers terminal performance on game
Old 12-31-2009, 08:48 PM
JagMagMan
Giant Nontypical

Originally Posted by schoolcraft
have you folks experienced any better or worse "terminal" performance on game. More or less DRT's? Deer running shorter distances with one caliber than another? ect.....
This is a hypothetical situation, same deer, same distance and same shot placement, different calibers, and as close to the same bullet type as possible. Hoping for "DRT" performance.
With this shot (double lung area,) my answer would be: forget about "DRT!"
DRT in this case is unpredictable! If it is "DRT" that you are looking for, you have to go for the shoulders or "iffy-er" shots like the spine or head.
DRT shots on a double lung are just too unexplainable! You might think that a faster and/or heavier bullet would have more "DRT's."
But that is not always the case!
I don't mind a tracking job, especially if there is a good blood trail! So, with a double lung shot, "DRT" is out the window!
Say that you find a caliber that gives you 8 out of 10 DRT's. (Ain't gonna happen with this shot, but lets say it does!) Thats still 2 deer that run off. Possibly with little or no blood trail to follow.
Bottom line is:
1. If its DRT you want, take a different shot, with any caliber from .24 on up, with good hunting bullets.
2. Take the double lung shot, with any good caliber, with faster expanding bullets to get a good blood trail, just in case its not DRT!
Believe it or not, my experience is the .24-.26 cals, do better than the larger cals at producing good blood trails! As some of the larger caliber bullets are constructed heavier, to knock through and expand in much heavier game than in the ribs of a 150 lb. deer!