HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Luck
Thread: Luck
View Single Post
Old 12-30-2009, 12:59 PM
dkhamner
Fork Horn

I have both good and bad luck as everyone has. This is a story of bad luck that I have that happened to a good friend of mine.

We were mule deer hunting outside of Caprock Canyon State Park in the Texas Panhandle where there are some monster mulies. Anyway, my buddy was headed back out to hunt after we had met at camp for lunch. He was driving accross the Red River which is a very wide sandy nasty river at times and he spots a Monster mulie on the top of the plateau on the other side of the river. Anyway, he stops in the sandy bottom of the river to get his binoc's on it and realizes that its a giant. He decides that he will just drive up to the bottom of the plateau and try to get within shooting range. As he attempts to get going he gets stuck in the sand and burries his jeep to the axil. He grabs his rifle and starts running accross the river to get to cover. He said he made it to the edge of the river and to the cover of the salt cedars to stop and try to spot the buck again. He finally spots the giant again and its moving west along the rim of the plateau. He stays in the cover of the salt cedars and starts his stalk on the buck. After an hour or so of stalking and trying to get in shooting distance he hears a shot come from his left, about 300 or 400 yards away. He pulls up his binoc's again and cant spot the buck. He knows 1 of 2 things just happened, the deer just got shot or it went over the rim and he cant see it. As he makes his way to the base of the plateau he hears the a pick up coming up the road. It was the rancher who had been feeding the cattle. My buddy waves at the rancher and heads up the plateau to find "his" buck. The rancher honks at my buddy and yells out the window "did you see that buck I just shot?". My buddy yells back and says, "did you hit him?". The rancher gets out of his truck and says "he11 yes I hit him, he dropped where he was standing.". They made it to the buck together and found a 32" 18 point non typical buck. My buddy was sick.