HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to choose my first bow.
View Single Post
Old 12-29-2009, 03:01 AM
cartman308
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by chevymanar
I am most definately left eye dominant. I have been shooting guns since I can remember, just now getting into the compound bow world.

I went to a couple bow shops today. One did not have any left handed bows for me to try. The next had a few.

I tried a couple Hoyts, a Matthews and a PSE. The PSE felt horrible and had a bad vibration to me. The Matthews felt good, but at $750 for just the bow I had to pass on it.

I ended up with a Hoyt PowerHawk. I really like it. I am still getting used to things and I am trying to read as much as I can. I am having trouble being consistent with it. I know it is me, because sometimes I can group to the point of hitting one another, then I throw one way off. It is just gonna take some practice. I feel like I am weak or something. They set me up on 45lbs at first and after 20-30 pulls my back began to get a little sore. I still had no problem pulling the bow back, but I started to become unsteady as I held the pin on the target. I hope I will build these muscles up better.

My 14yr old nephew got a new bow also. He got a Diamond Razor's Edge. It seems like a great bow also. He is only able to comfortably pull back around 35lbs at the moment. He too is hoping to get stronger. For him I have no doubt, as he will get stronger due to age.
The Turbo is a really nice bow from what I read. Basically an AlfphaMax with a magnesium riser rather than machined aluminum. The soreness in you back is you using muscles you've never known you had to draw the bow The more you shoot the less you'll notice this. This is a good thing though. You want to use your back muscles to help you draw and not put all the weight on your elbow and shoulder. Drawing to much weight can cause bad things to your shoulder.

Your inconsistent groups could be a number of things. More than likely fatigue. It would also be you torquing the bow on release. You want to keep a completely relaxed bow hand all the way through release and arrow launch. If you don't have a wrist sling, i highly recommend one. They are cheap insurance against dropping your new toy! Welcome to your new addiction!!!