HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HOW...do we get the changes we need in PA?
Old 12-24-2009, 09:46 AM
glew22
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Pahick
If youre not familiar with the terms saw and pole, which you readily admit, I highly doubt your claims.
So like I've said, I don't know what the terms mean, but I'm willing to listen and learn....

This summer I saw a 20m X 20m high fenced deer exclosure in a forest opening. It was a jungle, with a lot of 5 yr old white oak regeneration. The corresponing unfenced plot in the same opening had nothing but invasive species growing, and even these species were browsed. About 100 yards away, there was another high fenced and corresponding unfenced plot (this time both were under a closed forest canopy). I believe they had been high fenced for 5-7 yrs. In the unfenced plot there were no stems at least 2 yrs old. Inside the fenced plot, however, there was significant oak regeneration 3'-5'. This experiment proved that even under a closed forest canopy, we can witness forest regeneration, in fact some species have evolved to be shade tolerant to exploit this niche.