HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HOW...do we get the changes we need in PA?
Old 12-24-2009, 04:09 AM
bluebird2
Nontypical Buck

It absolutely does. Can exton support 100 dpsm? No, it can't support any. Can the suburbs 4 miles away? No, but they can support a lot more the the several square miles of concrete right next door. Attaching one number for dpsm over such a large, diverse, and fragmented landscape (wmu 5c) is simply not a good idea. Hence, smaller scale.
The PGC claims they are no longer managing the herd based on deer density, so the average number of DPSM is not the issue. Even at the township level conditions can vary significantly in a relative short distance ,so smaller units will not solve the problem, since the PGC wanted a lot less deer across the entire state.
What are you talking about. I never once said I'm not familiar with the the stages of forest succession. I said I am not familiar with the terms you used. I've taken several courses in my education that cover succession. So how about "he" drops his condescending tone, and gets "his" facts straight, then hopefully something productive will come out of the conversation.
What terms do you use to identify the various stages of forest succession and how much browse does each stage provide for the deer? By admitting you were not familiar with terms pole and saw timber, you admitted you haven't been reading the Annual Wildlife Reports and that you have a limited knowledge of how our herd was managed prior to 2000.