HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - HOW...do we get the changes we need in PA?
Old 12-23-2009, 04:16 PM
glew22
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by bluebird2
The QDMA of PA named Alt the deer manager of the year award for setting the goals of 5 DPSM for 5B and 6 DPSM for 5C. You are just lucky that the plan has failed to reduce the herd in your area or you would be singing a different tune. Based on the data you provided you have over 200 DPSM while the PGC claims the habitat in your area can only support 6 DPSM. how happy would you be if you had just one buck on your 250 acres instead of 55?
Not sure about the alt thing but I'll do a fact check and get back to you. The PGC suggesting the habitat can only support 6 dpsm goes back to my point that deer herd need to be managed on a smaller scale. To do their calculations, I'm guessing they included the square mile of concrete and asphalt that borders the area. When you average habitat types across such a large area it's no wonder that you come up with inaccurate figures. The other thing to keep in mind that is often left out of the conversation is supplemental feeding. When Suzie and Billy down the road throw corn out every day so they can see bambi, they're increasing the CC.