HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Things that occur to you in a tree stand
View Single Post
Old 12-23-2009, 07:31 AM
Jimmy S
Nontypical Buck

Being 18-20 feet in a treestand during deer season is my favorite place to be. While waiting for the opportunity to see a deer, I always appreciate what goes on around me. I see so many things that non-hunters will probably never experience. I have seen and sometimes experienced up close and personal meetings with most/all the animals in my woods. Everything from a small field mouse to a majestic bull moose.

I also play over in my mind what I will do if a deer suddenly appears in a place I don't expect. I tell myself if the deer comes in from behind me, I will do this. If he appears over my left/right shoulder, I will do that. I constantly have a game plan so I'm not caught off guard. It does not always work but at least taking the time to play the situation over and over in my head gives me more confidence.

I always anticipate a shot being fired by one of my buddys. We are all aware where everyone is setup and usually know instantly who fired that shot. Waiting to hear the dead silence of the woods suddenly interrupted by the crack of a 30-06 always brings a smile to my face.

Last edited by Jimmy S; 12-23-2009 at 07:33 AM.