HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - How to choose my first bow.
View Single Post
Old 12-22-2009, 02:37 AM
cartman308
Typical Buck

being left handed is a definite disadvantage. Shops just don't carry as many lefties.

The only way to tell if it "fits" or "feels good to you is shoot it. You'll have to feel the bow and make that call for yourself.

I like a bow to have a very smooth draw, little to no handshock on release (you'll know what this is when you shoot a bow, kinda like a buzz in your hand), and as quiet as possible.

The techs at the shop should be able to guess your draw length pretty close. Get a bow in your hands then let you fling some arrows. After you start shooting you'll know what you like and don't about a particular bow.

Different cam systems will have a differnt feel to them as well. Solo or single cams (mathews) tend to have the smoothes draws, but also tend to be slower than the others. Slaved dual cams (bowtech, most Elite, Athens) have a stouter draw but tend to make better speeds. Most slaved duals build to peak weight quickly and drop abruptly into letoff (also known as the valley). The drop into the valley can be drastic and uncontrollable or very smooth depending on the design of the cam. This is what sets some apart from others. You'll have to experience it to understand what i'm saying. The slaved duals also have a very sold back wall at full draw. They will have drawstops on the cams that contact the limbs with will not allow you to overdraw the bow and give you that mushy feaeling at full draw. I really like this characteristic!

In between slaved duals and solos you'll have hybrids, cam and a halfs and true dual cams.

Obviously I have my preference as far as brands goes, but making a suggestion like that to you at this point in the game would be inappropriate. You have to decide what characteristics you like and what feels good in your hands, then we can start talking brands and models.

Get out there and shoot all the bows you can get your hands on! It's truly an addiction sport!!! I love archery!

Last edited by cartman308; 12-22-2009 at 02:42 AM.