HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Muzzeloder Pistols
View Single Post
Old 12-21-2009, 04:58 AM
spaniel
Nontypical Buck

The legality of C+B revolvers for ML seasno varies by state. They were fine in Michigan when I lived there, I carried an 1858 Remington replica.

If you are going to go the revolver route, do yourself a favor and find a Ruger Old Army. I did use my 1858 loaded with a ball-et and max powder charge of 777 to finish a couple deer, the results were less then spectacular. It's more like shooting a deer with an arrow than a gun, there was no shock damage to speak of and if it would have been the only wound I would have expected the deer to travel a distance.

Personally, unless you find the 50cal Old Army conversion I saw on the internet once I would not carry a six shooter as a primary deer weapon. Perhaps within 10-15 yds but that's about it.

They are not legal where I hunt now in Indiana. In fact most of the traditional-style sidelocks have too short of a barrel to be legal. In the single shot realm, I'd look to the Encore or Contender pistols in .50 or .54 (if they make them). I currently have a project in the works to make one, pending clearance with the ATF as to my plans.

White made a two-handed beast called the Javelina. I've never seen one personally but they were rather unique (and powerful).