HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Revolver cal question
View Single Post
Old 12-20-2009, 02:50 PM
DocD
Fork Horn

Default Revolver cal question

While deer hunting this year I encountered a situation that has encouraged me to purchase a side arm. I hunt with a single shot Ruger. and on the third day of hunting while leaving my stand I was accosted by a dog pack (4) I was in a spot, not really know what to do I shot the biggest one, (thinking he was the leader) they ran and I had time to reload, and dispatched one more after walking a few yards, this is fairly remote area so I was surprised to have seen them. the rest of the season I hunted with a pump action rifle and did not encounter anything. what bothered me the most is that I usually try and get to my stand very early and had this encounter occurred then I am not sure just what would have happened. Now to my question, If I am going to buy a sidearm i might as well purchase one I can use for hunting, and I need help with a caliber, 357mag,
44mag??? I have a friend who has a .45 Ruger (single action) which is like new for sale and I can really get a good price on it, I am not that familiar with revolvers so I thought you guys could help me out,
is a .45 good enough or is it overkill, Thanks Doc