HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Bloodtrail Brothers Thread (6)
Old 12-19-2009, 11:22 PM
BOW HNT
Typical Buck

Hey Guys - sorry I have not posted for quite a while. As for an update I had numerous nice bucks by so far this season. I had a funky looking half rack buck that I wish had the other side in with a hot doe for about 25 minutes. He had a split brow, forked G-2 and a kicker off the G-3, nice tines and good mass. Earlier this year he had a nice brow tine and main beam on the other side - but that had been busted off. Had one we call the Bandit broadside in a shooting lane at 18 yards. He is a tremendous buck, but needs another year or possibly two.

Had a nice tall heavy beamed 4 X 4 that I hesitated on taking a shot at first... ended up dropping the string on him, deflected on a branch on the way and burried in the ground 10 yards before it got to him.

Had a nice 5 X 5 come in that again I hesitated on taking a shot - beautiful buck, but he did need another year... looked him over again and decided that although he needed another year, I did not want to give him one at that time. Fortunately, bone head Mike misjudged the distance and sent an arrow right over his back. Initially, I did not realize that I had misjudged the distance, but heard the arrow hit branches behind the buck, so I though crap - another deflection (neither of the bucks were in one of the shooting lanes for those stands, but it looked like I had good clear holes all the way in). He jumped back and stood 20 yards from where he stood when I shot at him and stood there for about 5 minutes. Then he slowly walked off and I actually did have several clear shots along the trail he walked, but thinking the prior shot was another deflection, I did not even draw on him again.

I am actually glad I missed him - absolutely should not have taken a shot at him. The 4 X 4 on the other hand - that one realy ticks me off!

Otherwise I had 8 or so 125 - 140 bucks in and a bunch of does. Sorry guys - I should have had some points on the board!

Bow season will start back up this week and I think (maybe hope) I will make it back out for at least a couple sits.

Best of luck to everyone out there still attempting to brave the cold and snow.

M