HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ILL has gone downhill
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 05:53 PM
salukipv1
Giant Nontypical

Earn a 2nd buck tag would require you to "earn it" as in you would no longer be able to just buy 2 buck tags right away and go hunt and shoot two bucks. It would require someone to shoot a doe before they could buy a 2nd buck tag. So guys could no longer shoot 2 bucks and be done for the season, now in order to shoot two bucks they'd have to harvest at least 1 doe. Also alot of guys would taken a buck and take a doe and never take that 2nd buck. Ideally I think a doe is taken for every buck, this would at least bring the ration down to 2:1, instead of 2:0, and ideally closer to like 1.5:1 since not everyone who would shoot a doe would take 2 bucks, some guys would probably even take a doe and not even shoot 1 buck, but would buy a 2nd buck tag still to have the chance at taking 2.

And to answer your question, you can buy 2 buck tags right away in IL, alot of guys do buy 1, and will buy a 2nd once they fill their buck, or both tags, but it's not required for you to shoot a buck and/or doe to get your 2nd buck tag.

Earn a 2nd buck would simply require a guy to harvest a doe and call it in/check it before they could get a 2nd buck tag.

Personally I like this idea because then we're still a 2 buck state, as opposed to other states with 1 buck limits, as well it would help bring the buck/doe ration in check closer to 1:1

Originally Posted by Down&OutHunting
well i have a question about this earn a second buck tag and how it works. So im guessing you must kill a buck before you can get a second buck tag? correct me if im wrong on that. But usually here in IL if you kill a buck and doe then cant you just go back out and get another buck tag. I mean its kind of already in effect. Or can you go ou tin IL and buy your two buck tags at the same time cause i just buy one set of permits at a time.

Last edited by salukipv1; 12-11-2009 at 05:56 PM.