HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Best ML for the money
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 05:30 PM
Pglasgow
Nontypical Buck

Hey guys I think we can all get along.

Most of these rifles shoot better than we do. That's an excellent group batchief. Your pointing precision is at least 1/2 MOA and the rifle "HAS TO BE BETTER". Did you use the wadcutter "trashcan" for those groups? The wadcutter is an excellent target bullet and a very stable one in spite of the low BC.

When I go to the range I can't get that kind of group. First I don't shoot from a bench, I don't shoot with with bags, and I don't use scopes. I just can't point that precisely (under .5 MOA). Can't do it. No fault of my rifles.

I do have very good sense how well I will shoot while hunting though and that is what I am primarily looking for. What is my limit ... and then the challenge of the hunt is to get within that limit to take the game.

When I account for what I expect my pointing imprecision is, I am impressed though with my groups and am surprised at what a wide range of loads shoot well within the range afforded by my pointing imprecision under field conditions.

Most rifles shoot better than their owners can point. I think your targets say as much about the your abilities and the conditions under which you shot those targets than they do about the rifle itself. Granted one can't do that unless the rifle is precise, but if you compare that to another's targer who isn't as good a pointer then the whole difference may not be the rifle at all but rather the individual shooting the target.

There are are alot of fine muzzleloaders and while I don't own a White, I think I would count it among the best. I've never once read a complaint about a White by its owner, not once. And I can't say that about any other rifle except maybe the knights.