HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Winchester xp3 Bullets
View Single Post
Old 12-11-2009, 04:10 PM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by cwd79
Please excuse my ignorance. What is an x?
I'll answer your question, since X Factor/Relentless Pursuit et al is, once again, no longer a member of this forum. I'm sure he'll be back tomorrow under another guise because he's too arrogant and/or stupid to get the hint that he's not welcome here... but I digress...

The "X" referred to is the Barnes X bullet, or in the current form, the Triple Shock X bullet (TSX for short). It's a wicked all copper bullet that expands fast into four sharp and nasty petals almost 2x the original diameter of the bullet, retains 97%+ of it's weight and penetrates better than just about any expanding bullet out there. They cost a lot, but the performance on game is excellent, and I've always got good to excellent accuracy from the TSX too.

I found this picture of three 270 grain TSX bullets (375 H&H) recovered from an 1800lb eland in Africa. The left bullet was at 200 yards, middle at 40 yards and the right was to guarantee it was down and dead at 8 feet according to the story associated with the pic. All retained greater than 269 grains (98.8% weight retention).

Mike