HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - ILL has gone downhill
View Single Post
Old 12-09-2009, 08:55 PM
fastetti
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by goose79
The people who don't call them in will not go to the check stations either, honest people will follow the rules.

I have no problems with the gun season being a few days longer, I like having more days in the field.

I guess it depends on where you hunt, there is no shortage of deer in my area.

Cut back on bow season or make it draw only.
First off, welcome to the forum!

I personally would like the check stations coming back because I always found it fun to see what guys are bringing in. Plus, the IDNR can get a better understanding of the age of deer coming in. I know not all will follow it but it would be nice. I still can't see how they don't get University students to come and work them for extra credit. We have so many college/Universities in this state they have to be able to work something out.

Draw for Bowhunting??? In the sentence above you said there were too many deer in your area. The success rate on Bowhunting is quite low. I know many guys that will be eating tags this year. I think the success rate is around 30% or so but I may be wrong. I think Bowhunting is pretty good for the state right now.

I do think that the state could benefit from a later gun season. It would be a tougher hunt for the bucks, but also more of the crops would be down. There are pluses and minuses for both ends I guess.