HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Anyone else having a comically bad season?
Old 12-08-2009, 05:34 AM
Horacio
Fork Horn

I've been hunting 20 years and it seems like every season has had its share of head scratching events but I suppose this season ranks up there.

I set up a new stand on my family's ranch, meant to put it out of the way in a place no one else hunts and when I hunt, I want to be left alone with the game and my thoughts. Unfortunately, my dad doesn't recognize this point of view as being valid and has doen his best to interfere with my hunting this season.

The brush on the ranch is very thick and the terrain rather rocky. Over the years, my dad has had himself and his ranch hands clear alot of the cedar out with a dozer but they generally do a pretty awful job, just kind of indiscriminate and random leaving piles all over the place. Occasionally when its rainy, they'll burn them.

Two weeks ago, they did so including the one between my feeder and blind. The still smoldering pile didn't seem to attract deer...go figure. The following week, someone decided some more brush needed to be cleared and began doing so....right next to my stand. Several of the main trails leading the deer in are no longer there. I even caught the dozer on my game camera.

So, I called my dad and explained to him that I was unhappy with the timing of his landscaping projects and that didn't go over so well....He had to inspect first hand....while I was hunting. He saw my truck and called me and at least I convinced him to stay away...sorta, he still drove by the feeder on the backside and ran off all the deer that may or may not have been there eavesdropping our phone conversation where again, I had to raise my voice in a vain attempt to get my point across.

So....he decided that later, he needed to call me again and see if I was seeing any deer. To cap the evening off, he rolled by my blind again in his big diesel pickup and spooked the 4 pt I was watching.

Hoping things inprove. I have some nice deer on the game camera from before the dozer came through. Anxious to see if they are still coming there.