HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did anyone in PA have a good season?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 01:23 AM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

my season was quick...7 sits in the woods and i drug my best bowkill out of the woods...

hunting around home was/is tough...never seen a deer in 6 sits...but had someone ruin my favorite spot as well...

rifle season, weve been doing our drives since day 1....

we were averaging about 6 deer sightings a day...got a 16" 8pt killed and a 4pt half rack killed...had 2 bigguns get away...buddy also got a 2.5yo 8pt in archery here..(mine was at camp so not a local deer)

most days we have 3-4 of us...saturday we had 7...

yesterday, we had 3..2 drivers and 1 stander...was our best numbers day as we seen 20+ deer...and yes, all but 1 group went past the shooter...that group got lost on us..hopefully things recover for next season...this year was just very odd..numbers been down since anyone started looking for deer this year...

i'll doe hunt come flinter season...but not on the home turf...we have permission to hunt the late season in an area that holds a TON of deer..the land owners are all buck hunters and dont shoot does...they wont let us hunt till the late season but dont care what we shoot...i try to take a doe or 2 down there each season...

all in all, we got the important 3 of us of the crew tagged out on bucks...and if we can keep the ones we got alive for next year, we aughta be alright....we need a break from the doe hunters...its tough because we are in 2B and tags are pretty much unlimited..but we are in farmland that is pretty much open to hunting and rifles are legal through Jan for doe....it took its toll for sure over the past few years...hopefully the meat hunters find somewhere else to hunt this year...archery had verrrrry few hunters in the area and rifle was quiet till saturday we seen 1 big crew but no shots from them so i think they'll move on too...land is starting to get posted by non-hunting farmers just because they miss seeing a couple deer in their fields...