HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Did anyone in PA have a good season?
View Single Post
Old 12-08-2009, 12:00 AM
Screamin Steel
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by muzzyman88
I hunt private ground in 4D, which usually doesn't have a deer scarcity problem in most areas. However, from my stand, I can hear a good ways onto a big tract of public ground and didn't hear much shooting. Talking with some guys that hunt over there, they're not seeing much, a couple deer and lots of turkeys.

It's simple. The PGC has accomplished what it set out to do. They wanted the deer killed. They got the deer killed. Areas with high hunter densities in the past put a big hurt on the deer populations in those areas once the new regulations came in. Now, those very same hunters aren't hunting anymore or hunting a lot less because they simply aren't seeing anything. Kids aren't interested in spending a cold day in the woods watching squirrels.

The PGC sold this plan to us by telling us we'd all see much bigger, more mature bucks. I like the AR, and continue to support it. However, I believe they pulled the wool over most of our eyes. PA will never be an Illinois, Kansas, Texas or any other mid western state where big bucks are the norm. We still have many more hunters than most of those states. And, we're packed into smaller areas to boot. PA is most mountainous, the feed is not there to support wide spread big bucks. Sure, we always hear or see about a few big bucks taken each year. But again, its no Illinois, don't kid yourself.

IMO, the bottom line is that the PGC went way overboard. They removed way too many deer in areas that didn't need it to begin with. Now, people are losing interest or only go out a day or two. They're now grabbing at straws trying to figure out how they're going to pay their light bill by legalizing crossbows, allowing people to use guns during traditional archery seasons, letting you blast a doe all season long, etc.

Just what the heck did the PGC think was going to happen?
Right on the money.