HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - i give up no more never again.
View Single Post
Old 12-07-2009, 08:37 AM
driftrider
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by The Famous Grouse
It could be a scope issue, it could just be the inaccuracy of the 10/22. As I've said before, I had a 10/22 for a few months and I ended up trading it off because it was just wildly inaccurate. I never could dial it in to produce consistent results and that was with a Simmons scope that cost almost as much as the rifle.

I have since moved the scope to a Marlin 795 and it shoots very nice groups and has held it's zero since the first time I sighted it in, so I now can verify the scope and the rings were not the issue.

Personally, from my experience and what I've read on this and other forums, accuracy with the 10/22 is a hit or miss proposition. There were many others who had the same experience I did with an inability to get a 10/22 to shoot any better than softball sized groups at 50 yards regardless of scope or ammo used. Others had better results.

I think the popularity of the 10/22 is largely do do with the ability to pimp it out with so-called "tactical" accessories to make it look cool. If accuracy is your goal, I think there are many better options for the same or less money.

Grouse
You must have got a bad one. Mine shoots about 1-1.25" groups at 50 yards with Winchester Super-X ammo. If it didn't shoot realy great, aftermarket barrels are a dime/dozen for the 10/22, drop right in with no gunsmithing, and can be as accurate as any custom CF rifle to the limits of the 22lr cartridge.

Mike