HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Input needed
Thread: Input needed
View Single Post
Old 12-01-2009, 02:20 PM
rather_be_huntin
Typical Buck

The 7mm-08 should do you just fine.

I wanted to weigh in on the optics. To me optics can make a HUGE difference in your shooting. That's just my opinion but I have a Nikon Monarch 5.5 - 16.5 x 44 power and I love it. People say you don't need more than 9 power and to some degree that's true but I'll never go back. The problem with 9 power is you don't see your rifle shake near as much. When I'm at 16.5 power I can tell when I'm not steady much better because all of your movement is that much more noticeable. They are real nice on smaller targets too. Good, powerful, clear optics have improved my shooting....I don't care what anyone says. You want something that gathers lots of light, is clear at long ranges, is waterproof and fogproof.

One more thing...some will say that target aquisition is tough with the higher power. It's like anything else....practice makes perfect. I can turn that puppy all the way up and find my target as fast as anyone else. Point the rifle and scope instinctively at your target with both eyes open.....move up to your scope.....close one eye....look through your scope and you're on your target. Works every time.