HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - What type of bullet would you recommend?
View Single Post
Old 11-30-2009, 04:55 AM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

Lightbulb

Originally Posted by RAK
What type of bullet would you recommend for whitetail using a 30-06. I am new to this but I used a soft point 150 grain to take my first whitetail. It didn't drop right away. I shot the thing at 180 yards. I see guys taking deer with 30-06 on video and the deer just collapses. I am new to hunting so please don't make fun of my beginner questions.
Your 150gr. soft point will work just fine... assuming it's your basic run of the mill soft point Core-Lokt.

Like mentioned previous, most your shots in the heart/lungs are not going to drop the deer immediately. Besides just neck/spine shots to drop them, there's also the issue of shock trauma. Some bullets transfer energy better than others, thus able to drop a deer through the actual impact. I did this to a buck shooting him low in the front chest below his white patch, above his heart. Used a .270 130gr. SST. You will also often see deer knocked off their feet with broadside shots from .50 cal. blackpowder rifles. Today's muzzleloaders and sabots/slugs/bullets transfer energy well.

As for specific bullets, I recommend the Nosler Ballistic Tip 165 gr. or Sierra GameKing in 165 gr. BTHP. Now those NBT's can do some real damage, so keep the bullet in the boiler room or you'll be eatin' some burger without even taking out the grinder. LOL!

One last note: You will find, if you try it, that most guns have preference for one brand, bullet or bullet weight over another when it comes to accuracy. Like I mentioned the NBT's at 165 gr. Your gun may shoot more accurate with the 125 gr. You may be shooting and are not happy with your groups. After checking everything is tight on your gun, scope, mounts, etc, it may be time to try other shells to see how they shoot.

iSnipe