HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My Best Buck To Date!
View Single Post
Old 11-28-2009, 04:09 PM
ZRider
Fork Horn

Default My Best Buck To Date!

Just so happens it was taken with my Triumph too! The week was going pretty slow as far as deer sighting are concerned having set Monday morning and evening with zero deer seen. Tuesday morning started out the same way, nothing at all. Went back out Tuesday afternoon and it was looking like a repeat of the earlier hunts. Then the silence was broken by a single gun shot at about 3:55 pm. My father-in-law had shot a nice plump doe for the freezer. So as things calm back down and I returned to my little slice of piece and quiet I caught movement to my right. Looking that way I noticed a deer slinking up out of the swamp with its head behind a cluster of trees. As I was reaching for the binoculars he stepped out and I decided I should reach for the Triumph instead. There was no need to look him over as my mind screamed "Shooter"! Everything happened so fast the next thing I knew the crosshairs were settled behind his shoulder and there was a cloud of smoke, I don't even remember touching the trigger. He made two bounds and went face first into the ground, then somehow regained his feet turned back to where he came from and was out of sight. As my nerves kicked in I reloaded and finally went down to look for sign of the hit. At first I was not far enough down the two track and could not find sign but I knew he had to be hit hard by his reactions. My father-in-law showed up about this time and as he walked up to me I found the point of impact, blood and lots of it lay in the two track at a later ranged 95 yards. Looking in the direction he went when he piled up there was more and more blood. Following his trail I could not find sign after he had re-crossed the two track and was getting nervous. My father-in-law went carefully ahead and to the side of the expected line of travel to look for more sign while I scanned the edge of the lane - nothing. Just then he says he has blood on the edge of the creek so I head over to pick up from ther. As I walk up he says here is the blood...... and right down there is your deer! What an awesome feeling. My best buck to date and finally one for the wall. He is a very symetrical 9 point, the odd point being a small crab claw on the end of his left main beam. I thanked the Man up stairs for the great opportunity at such a fine animal. The 200 gr. Shockwave/Harvester CR sabot driven by 110 grains of 777 3f powder did a number on his lungs, he went a total of about 70-80 yards before expiring. The best part about the whole experience was my wife and daughter were there when we found the buck to share in a very special moment with me. Heading to the taxidermist in tomarrow afternoon.
Here are a few pics, thanks for reading.
Z-Rider
Attached Images      

Last edited by ZRider; 11-28-2009 at 04:13 PM.