HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Spring Hunt
Thread: Spring Hunt
View Single Post
Old 11-26-2009, 03:53 PM
Beezer
Typical Buck

I tried using a strutting gobbler one time, and it sent two jakes running right past without paying attention. On any hunt I've killed a bird using dekes, it's always been a hen and jake combo. I probably won't use a gobbler again, just for fear of scaring off another bird.

As for calls, I'm no pro myself but I bought about every call I could afford on clearance and tried everything out. The best thing I've found is an HS Strut slate call, don't know what it's called but it has a clear green plastic base. The only calls I make are yelps and purrs, always together. I'll yelp four or five times, then purr three or so...then repeat the process one more time and wait. Nothing big, nothing great just simple and does the trick. I've only hunted three years and have called in two 24lb gobblers, a 21lb gobbler and a jake.

One thing I found out about turkey hunting is...Don't complicate the process. If they are coming in, they are going to. If they aren't going to come in, be quiet and wait. I talked to one for almost an hour last season, then just sat back and waited. Almost an hour later I hit the slate and got three yelps out before he blasted off about thirty yards in front of me. Remember KISS...Keep It Simple Stupid, it's not as hard as it's made out to be.