HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Ground hunting
Thread: Ground hunting
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 04:31 PM
iSnipe
Nontypical Buck

Scent-Lok works, but not miracles. You have to do everything else right too. It also helps to use a spray of some sort on your lower extremities to avoid laying down a ground scent. If you see nothing your first day, the lingering smells you leave as you walk can last for 48 hours.

Move slow when you do move. Itchy nose? Move your hand up real slow, scratch slow. LOL! Need to turn and look around, do it slow. Need to bring up your binos to take a peek at something?... do it slow.

Find a comfortable chair or something to sit on. An uncomfortable chair is a pain and will get you moving around excessively to get comfortable. I built my own from 2"x2"s and 2"x6"s cut length ways and made a nice little stool. It's rock solid and allows me to sit comfortable all day if necessary.

I'd turn the power down on your scope. If I were in that scenario, I'd probably move it down to 7x. It's easier to acquire a target that way, especially if he's close in the brush.

After your hunt, if you do go out in the morning, you'll soon find out if you had some branches, etc, in some strategic spots around your blind, it would help. Bring a saw or pruners to help with this. When building natural material blinds, I have a special bag where I have tools that help me work faster. I also carry wire and pliers because often I need to secure brush down and it really helps to make it more rigid to with-stand the wind and accumulating subsequent snowfalls.

Just remember to have a good time out there. Don't pressure yourself you need to see something. Whatever happens, happens. Enjoy the moment and reflect on your life, your family, what's in front of you and keep picturing and knowing that the deer you're looking for can step out at ANY MOMENT!

Good luck and welcome to the forum here at HuntingNet.com!

iSnipe