HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Wolf or Coyote?
Thread: Wolf or Coyote?
View Single Post
Old 11-24-2009, 08:48 AM
NJheadhunter71
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Phil from Maine
My first guess is a wolf as I know they are in your area.. However do not let the size fool you.. Here the eastern coyote can and do get just as big.. Some coyotes here have been known to wiegh as much as 80lbs.. Those ones are believed to be 80% wolf though.. Making them one heck of a killing machine. Also coyotes here have been helping to keep the turkey population down as well.. It was determind here to not to let wolves go as they have already been crossbreeding with the coyotes.. So we are safe from wolves I guess.. But have some thing worse instead..
Yes you are right. DNA has proved that our (eastern) yotes have wolf in them that is over the 50-50% mark. Possible red wolf or grey who knows?? I can tell you this though, I have been going out West for awhile now and when I saw the yotes there I swear they where fox or pigmys...LOL I have seen them in Jersey an easy 80+ pounders. I even saw one for about 10 minutes straight and studied it and almost swore it was a wolf but the short legs gave it away. I have also seen a yote or (coy) in upstate NY mixed with a feral husky and it looked like a wolf.