HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - An exciting morning
View Single Post
Old 11-21-2009, 06:45 AM
RugerM77.270
Nontypical Buck

Default An exciting morning

Well I had an exciting morning yesterday. I started the morning in my tripod overlooking planted pines with a firelane 600 yards long in front of me and another 200 yards long to my left. About 30 minutes after light out I was checking how steady my rest was out to 400 yards because I was using a lighter gun this week, I looked through the scope brought my head up made a quick adjustment to my sling looked back through the scope just in time to see the rear end of a deer dissappear into the pines. Oh well I say thats hunting I saw and I start keeping a better eye out. Half and hour later I see a deer come out at 375 yards, I drop to the scope and I see mainbeams outside the ears but can't make out how many points due to the sun glaring off my scope and as quick as he appeared he was gone only 4 seconds in the open tops. Two minutes later we repeated the same senario going the other direstion. Thank God there is still a lot more season to go. I sit tight for about 45 more minutes when suddenly a doe walks out 20 yards to my left totally unaware of my presence. I slowly start to turn to get on her but my tripod has a canopy and I had to get my gun around the post on the corner of the platforn rather then just swinging around. I would only move when she moved or looked away but right before I ger around the post I see movement infront of me, its another deer. I go ahead and go back to my original rest and look is a fork horn and I can shoot another little buck so back to trying to get around to the doe. By this time she knows something is up and has turned around and is easing back the way she came but I am a little quicker I put the crosshairs behind her shoulder and squeeze the trigger click. The gun didn't go off, I checked the safety is was off the ammo didn't fire. The doe was standing in front of me staring at me about to bolt so I pulled the bolt up and re****ed the gun on the same shell, squeeze the trigger agian, BOOM. Bang Flop. The wincherter PowerMax Bonded entered behind the left shoulder and exited the front shoulder blowing lung matter out the exit. I look up and the fork is still out so I grab my camera and go to take a picture right when I snap the picture a basket eight steps out at 300 yards so I snap a few pics of him to. It was really exciting to have deer at was seemed like everywhere all of a sudden. I was one of those morings that remind you why you hunt.

Exit