HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - 7mm stw?
Thread: 7mm stw?
View Single Post
Old 11-19-2009, 07:07 AM
Frank in the Laurel
Fork Horn

A long time ago "BIG GREEN" introduced the 8mm Remington Magnum, supposed to be a real big game stopper.. looked good, shot great, had everything about right and they made poorly constructed bullets that failed for the most part on true big game.. that big beautiful case found it's home with handloaders.. it's been necked up and down for many generations ever since.. the 7mmSTW and the 357 STA were among the most popular and still are today in certain circles.. I myself love the standard ole' 8mm Rem Mag, loaded with great nosler partitions it will handle anything on the North Amercian continent with ease.. amazing velocities can be achieved with all that powder being burnt and with speed comes energy.. I know most of us never shoot a true big game rifle all that much and it takes years to shoot 100's of shots, let alone 1000's.. I wonder how long it takes to burn out a barrel on the 7STW..I wonder if the throat area will take a 1000 shots..how's case life?? All the wildcats based on the great ole' 8mm RM have their place, too bad the original never caught on and that was "BIG GREEN's" fault also..