HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - bow hunting during gun season.
View Single Post
Old 11-18-2009, 01:43 PM
mauser06
Giant Nontypical

your hunting with an inline.....keeping it dry is not a big deal at all...ive carried a flintlock in pouring rain and heavy snow all day and still had no worries about it doing off...

id say take the inline...your likely to get the fever like no other if you ever get a shot with your bow as youve never killed one...

wouldnt hurt to get a few gun kills under your belt...no shame in that...TV and the internet got many people in the hunting world turned into "elitists" thinking their form of hunting is better than another...

ive killed deer with a rifle, flintlock, and bow..guess what? when rifle season rolls around i grab one of my rifles and go rifle huntin! why?? im a bow hunter..im a flintlock hunter...am i cheatin?? heck no i dont think im cheatin...im evening the playing field! its legal...and heck, squeezin a trigger and watchin a deer buckle and hearin your shot echo through the valley is a sweet feeling...yaaa its not what it once was...its pretty much BANG, tag, drag...but it still gets my heart pumpin...and i love venison..i enjoy the commrodity of rifle hunting with a bunch of buddies..i still love bow hunting...but i love flintlocking and rifle hunting too...my closest bow kill is still probably a yard farther than my closest rifle kill...and probably 11 or so out of my 14 gun/flintlock kills have been well within bow range...so the whole "they gotta be closer for a bow and blah blah blah" doesnt hold water for me...

do what makes you happy.....truth of it is that i love deer hunting...i love venison...when the gun, or bow, or flintlock quits gettin me excited, then i'll quit using it...but 16 (i think im at 16) whitetails later, i still got plans for another rifle for the collection...a revolver...a slug gun...and another flintlock or 5...

what i do is i try to take my buck with the bow so i can flintlock hunt for does...heck, i might even take the rifle or slug gun doe huntin this year just because i have the time and wanna scout new spots and try fillin the freezer...