HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - My best deer yet!! (pics)
View Single Post
Old 11-17-2009, 05:03 AM
Breechplug
Nontypical Buck

Nice Buck, Congratulations on him! From looking at him and a quick field guess I'd say he's probably a 2 1/2 year old, with the deductions on his sticker points and short brow tines and not being real wide I'd guess him to score around 100-105" B&C, dont get me wrong he's a Nice Buck.
Measure his (maximun) inside spread and write it down, neaxt measure both main beam length and write it down. Measure his (Typical) points from where they come off the top of the main beams on both sides and write it down. Next measure his (4) main beam circumferences at there smallest parts, the 4 measurements are taken (1) at the base of the main beams, (2) after the brow tine inbetween the first point, (3) inbetween the second and third point, (4) inbetween the third and fourth point. Add up all your total's for each side seperate. Now take your (differences) between the measurements from both sides and (subtract) them. Example.....your main beam length on the right side is 18" and the left side was 17 1/2" so you'd (deduct) 1/2" of your score for the final score. Or say your right brow tine was 4" and your left was 3 3/4" so again you'd deduct a 1/4". Do this with all your points and main beams and circumferences from both sides. Also say you have 4 points on one side and only 3 on the other, you'd deduct the total length of that point as there is no match on the other side. Next measure your lengths of your (sticker) points or abnormal points and deduct them from your final score.
Now take your main beam length and inside spread length and deduct the differences between the two. Add up your score and this will give you a close guess as to what is will score.
As for (age) of your Buck the only real way to tell his age is from his teeth and the wear.
Again Nice Buck!
(BP)