HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Official Team Surpass Thread (37)
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 08:22 PM
Rammer
Nontypical Buck

Way to go fellas!!! It is good to see everyone out and having luck.

I have a story of my own. I redeemed myself from a few weeks ago.

We were out combining yesterday evening and my brother called me on the 2-way radio and said some deer came out in front of him. So I turned around in the grain cart and saw a buck that I thought was in the 150s. I didn't have any binoculars along and I could see it had 2 stickers, so I decided it was game on. I called my dad up and told him to bring my pickup out to the field so I could grab my bow and archery gear out of it. I got my gear thrown on an headed down the corn field in the standing corn. I got straight out from the buck (he had a very hot doe with him) and he was oblivious to my presence, I slowly crept to the last row of corn between me and him. I pulled my laser ranger out of my pocket and it was the first real good look I took at his rack. My rangefinder told me he was 41 yards, and I lowered it back down to my pocket and went to clip my release on my loop, it took a few tries as I was starting to shake pretty good at this point.

I drew back un-detected and settled my 40 yard pin and let my arrow go. It was as if my arrow was in slow motion as I watched it soar towards my buck; then I watched it crash home right where I wanted it. The buck jumped and went back to tending to his doe, she started to trot off so he started to follow her at a medium paced walk. Fifty yards into his walk he laid down, then in one last effort he got back up and made it another 40 yards or so before expiring.

This is what I walked up to. Needless to say I was surprised to find out my 150" deer miraculously grew when he hit the ground....

I grossed him at 183"