HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - Bullet density and Ballistic Coefficients
Old 11-16-2009, 04:03 PM
Big Z
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Howler
Not to mention that a 50 gr. bullet weighs 50 grains weather it is 100% lead or 100% copper. The shape of that 50 gr. bullet needs to be concidered more so that what it's made of!
If you had 100 pounds of feathers compacted into a small ball like shape and 100 pounds of lead and drop them from the same height at the same time, they both should hit the ground at the same time, as long as the feathers don't have more wind resistance than the lead does.
Well, the problem I'm trying to figure out is that the feathers (and the copper) are not as dense as the lead. This would lead me to believe that they would be impacted by air more, both front-on (reducing velocity) and from the side (wind deflection). To have the same mass, there must be more volumetric displacement with a less-dense object. I'm trying to understand how this will change flight characteristics, and if there is a significance in this change noticeable at longer ranges. Also, if there is, I want to know what a standard projectile (G1, G7 etc) is made out of and how to compensate.