HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - thank god.
Thread: thank god.
View Single Post
Old 11-16-2009, 02:20 PM
bigtim6656
Giant Nontypical

Default thank god.

I have been sitting for like 2 or three days waiting for the site to come back up. What happen.
So how is everyones season going. had a few nice gun hunts but no deer. Nice that i can love a hunt with out seeing any deer.

I found a real good spot. It is a bean field that wascut a week ago. Huge it goes back in the woods with a U shape cut so there is alot of cover around the field with a 40 yard tractor path through the wood to the field. I saw about 10 scraps around the U shape of the back part of the field. A few small rubs. I went across and sit down for a afternoon muzzleloader hunt got to a spot to lean against a tree and heard some leafs crunching. Stood there scared ****less i was going to get busted. I froze for 5 minutes(really about 2 but felt like 5). Then sit down with my back to the woods and the noise. I could hear the deer walking around behind me down wind but never seemed to spook. I could hear him slow walking around the field about 20 yards in. I thought about stalking in after him but did not. I sit there for a hour or so then figured i would go check everything out. Walked back to where i heard the deer.
There is a good drop seems to small dry creek beds run down each side and it drops slowly about 50 feet down to a bottom kind of a fast drop but not to bad no reason why they would not want to walk it. I can handle it so i know the deer can.
Then i find the pot of gold. I notice two scraps fresh and i mean you could see where they had to have just been done maybe a hour or so. FResh dark dirt. So i figure he walked through and did it when i heard the noise. I walked on down and it drops down properly 20 feet in 80 feet of lenth. Flatens out into a bottom and there is a good clean small creek and a nice flat area they seem to be bedding down in.
It is deep in the woods a 1/4 mile from where i was sitting and 1/2 across the field. Most people around here don't make it 1/4 mile off the road. My plan is to hunt it wensday all day. I plan to sit on the field the morning then head to the bottom about noon. DOes that sound ok. If it rains though i might hit my stand unsure yet. I realy do not want to be on the wet muddy ground with no blind.
Questions though.
The beans are cut. Been cut for a week or so. Will the deer still be walkign around the field and the sheltered coverd u shape area that was beans? or is it to late to find them in the field? Also there is a set of train tracks that run down the road to the bottom just a 100 or 200 yard walk from the track would i be better off to walk the track and keep my scent out of the woods and field? Also there is a weed clearing for power lines on the other side of the track could they be crossing the track to head to the clearing for cover and or food?
In the u Shape part off the field i saw some acorn shells and i mean alot of them would they still be hitting the acorns?
Thanks sorry it is so long.