HuntingNet.com Forums - View Single Post - best bang for the buck puppy food
View Single Post
Old 11-11-2009, 12:37 PM
bryant1
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by BetterBirddogs
Personally from talking to numerous field trial buddys and dog food reps puppy food is one of the biggest rip offs out there. One guy told me his company makes puppy food for people who don't know any better and think they need to feed their pup a special. They make a killing off it too. I don't feed puppy food at all. I start my pups out on a diamond high energy. I don't think its the best either but I live in bfe so my options are limited. Proplan and Iams both are horrible.

If I didn't have to drive 2 hours to get it I'd feed Black Gold. Its about as good a dogfood as there is out there.
Also I don't feed much actual dog food. I supplement with raw deer scraps. If you can feed raw meat as part of your diet I would definitely do it. Most butchers will almost give scraps away. We usually shoot 8-10 deer per year so I almost never run out but if I do I head to the butcher shop.

Also I would never feed anything much over 26% protein. Most dogs have a hard time digesting high levels of artificial protein.
Here's a man in the know. Mine are started on what I'm feeding the grown dogs at the time (River Run 24/20). I put a little milk over it until their mouths are strong enough to break the pieces easily.